Thursday, July 17, 2014

Summery Palm Tree Nails




This nail art will have you ready for the beach!

You’ll need:
Base coat
Top coat (I prefer Seche Vite)
Striper brush (I use the one from the Sephora Collection Nail Art Set)
Tape
Summery colors of your choice (I used: L’Oréal Nail Color in Macaroon Me Madly 116; OPI Nail Lacquer in You Don’t Know Jacques! Suede; Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear Nail Color in 02 Green With Envy; Butter London Nail Lacquer in British Racing Green; and American Eagle Outfitters Nail Color in orange)

First, apply a clear base coat to clean nails to protect them from being stained by the polish.  We may want summer to last forever, but the nail polish shouldn’t stay on your nails quite that long!  Then apply two coats of your base color (I used Macaroon Me Madly for this- it’s pretty bright and summery, but it’s light enough to easily put other colors over it.)


Pick a main accent finger for the palm tree (I chose my ring finger) and use your striper brush to paint a small trunk, wider at the bottom and narrower near the top of the tree.  I used You Don’t Know Jacques! Suede for mine, and with a clear top coat over that color it’s almost glittery, which adds a nice touch to the design.  Then, add small palm branches to the top of the tree, again using your striper brush to make slightly curved sections that end in a point.  I used Green With Envy and made four branches, but you can add more or less.  Then I used my striper brush dipped in British Racing Green to outline each branch and draw a small line down the middle of each, to add a little more definition to the design.


Finally, get creative for the rest of your nails!  You can add sand under the palm tree, a sun, some clouds, ocean waves, a starfish, whatever you want!  I kept it simple, using tape to make an orange horizontal stripe on my middle finger and a lime green half moon on my thumb.  Finish everything off with a clear top coat to seal in your look!


~ Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment