Friday, June 12, 2015

Conceal Your Roots Between Salon Visits


Salon visits can cost a ton and take a significant amount of time that you may not have available, but not keeping up with your roots is clearly not a viable option.  If you’re like me, you don’t necessarily want to try a box dye or home root touch-up kit for fear of messing up your hair or having the color be a little bit off.  Plus, I like to avoid damaging my hair any more than I already do!  In the search to find a way to conceal my roots for the period of regrowth before going to the salon, I found the Color Wow Root Cover Up.

This is just like it sounds: cover up for your hair.  It comes in a sleek black compact with a large mirror, powder cover up, and a double-ended brush for application.  The packaging is simple and great for taking with you if you need a touch up during the day (though I have yet to need a touch up.)

To apply the powder (which is a lot like eye shadow), just dab the brush in the powder and gently brush it on your roots after styling your (dry) hair.  I find that it’s easier when you hold your hair taut against your head and start with small, quick strokes of the brush right where your color ends, working up towards the roots.  I prefer the bigger end of the brush as it seems to hold more powder and gets larger and smaller sections, while the smaller end of the brush only works on smaller areas and seems to give less color payoff.  The powder itself goes onto hair smoothly and doesn’t create any harsh lines or leave fallout in undesired areas, but the powder can get messy in the compact, just like any eye shadow palette.

The cover up washes out in the shower, but stayed on my hair when faced with light rain.  (I wouldn’t expect much from it in heavy rain, but I haven’t tested that.)  So far it has stayed on for me all day, even in a lot of wind, without needing to touch it up.  (I even had a bit of color left after going a second day without washing my hair.  Working in dry shampoo had no effect on the powder, but I did add a little more when I was done styling my hair.)  It has no scent and the color matches very well.  (I have Blonde, for reference; it comes in Platinum, Light Brown, Medium Brown, Dark Brown, Black, and Red as well.)

Overall, my review of the Color Wow Root Cover Up is very positive!  It’s pretty quick and very easy to use, and it certainly helps between salon visits for a temporary fix! 

~Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment